Hairy poppy buds are reminiscent of the furriness of a tarantula.
I suspect that this way of looking at the world (hunting for visual parallels) nurtures poetry and artistic thinking in a child.
Besides looking at pictures or reading a book about this kind of phenomenon, here's a fun, related hands-on activity you can do with your kids.
1. Cut the celery fairly low down on the stalks. You'll be using the stump closest to the roots. Set aside the rest of the stalks for eating.
2. Whittle down each stalk with a knife so that they are all even and flat across.
3. Wrap a rubber band around the bundle to keep it in place.
5. Paint the ends with a sponge brush (acrylic works best)
7. Use individual celery stalks as stamps to make the leaves.