Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Giving Thanks During Preparation
I wasn't completely successful (there was that string cheese emergency, for example, when I had to quick eat a piece of string cheese before I bit my husband's head off) but there were some moments of reflective thankfulness. And what was interesting to me was that I found new things to be thankful for that I probably would not have noticed before.
These were some of the new reasons I found to give thanks to the Lord:
1. All the interesting textures God has made. The firm but slightly spongey potato in my hand, the clammy turkey skin, etc. It really is beautiful and amazing.
2. That none in my immediate family work retail. We don't have the stress of Black Friday, etc. ahead of us.
3. Ready access to so much meat when so much of the world struggles to get enough protein.
4. No family food allergies that I have to work around in my meal preparation. (What a huge thing that is!)
5. That all this busyness comes from people. I'm so glad I have people in my life for this Thanksgiving. It would be hard to be alone.
6. For convenience foods. I feel a little strange being thankful for this because theoretically I'm a bigger fan of cooking from scratch, but what a luxury to be able to choose not to- when time is tight or when one just really doesn't care that much about a particular dish. It's a boon to live in the age of Stovetop Stuffing!
7. That if I stopped cooking and cleaning right now, we'd still eat better and in a nicer home than two thirds of the world. Everything I am doing right now is over-the-top, luxury bonus. ( Took a little of the pressure off, besides being a reason to be thankful).
Have you found new things to be thankful for this year- maybe things that you've had all along, but have just now struck you in a new way?